Temporary Lead Organizer
|Affiliate:||UDWA CCPU/AFSCME Local 3930|
|Location:||San Diego, CA|
|Posting Date:||January 29, 2020|
UDWA Job Description: Temporary Lead Organizer,
CCPU-UDW (Projected 2 Year Assignment)
Under the direction of the Assistant Executive Director, as well as the Statewide Field Coordinator, the Lead Organizer implements the organizing plan of the Local Union.
UDWA CCPU/AFSCME Local 3930 is a statewide labor union that represents Childcare Providers throughout the state of California. Founded in 1979, UDWA is a diverse, progressive labor organization that seeks dynamic, committed individuals who will support our members and those for whom they care locally, statewide and at the national level.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee field organizers within assigned area(s).
- Develop organizing skills of staff and member organizers.
- Identify, recruit, train and develop union leaders.
- Assist in developing and executing plans for campaigns, including but not limited to, budget issues, contract negotiations, worker safety, etc.
- Evaluate potential organizing targets.
- Develop various communication systems to effectively reach members and providers.
- Help coordinate cross-departmental campaigns, such as political drives, lobbying efforts, and bargaining.
- Build coalitions with community groups and organizations.
- Maintain work files and comply with administrative reporting.
- Mobilize, turnout and engage membership.
- Effective time-management skills to organize his/her time and work assignments, as well as those of his/her team.
- Establish rapport with and organize members in widely diversified ethnic, social and economic groups.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive union or comparable organizing experience
- Supervisory experience required
- Demonstrated ability to lead and train staff
- Strong strategic and critical thinking skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Some knowledge of labor rights and contract language, and the ability to learn these quickly
- Work effectively in team settings, as well as independently
- Ability to develop and execute plans with minimal supervision and good judgment
- Effectively prioritize and multi-task assignments and responsibilities
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, often including nights and weekends
- Willingness to travel
- Bilingual skills strongly preferred, particularly in the following languages: Spanish, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Russian and Assyrian
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance that covers business driving, and an automobile for business use
- Must comply with UDWA’s driver policy
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, climb stairs and walk for extended periods of time. The employee must have visual perception, the ability to hear and speak. The employee is frequently required to utilize arms, hands and fingers. The employee must be able to withstand extreme heat, moderate noise and ability to work outdoors. Employee should be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
Employee must be able to perform duties and responsibilities in an office environment, private homes, community spaces and public outdoor spaces.
To Apply for This Position:
Mail, email or fax a detailed resume, cover letter, a one-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
In subject: Title of Position (applying for)
Mail: UDWA/AFSCME Local 3930
c/o Human Resources
4855 Seminole Drive
San Diego, CA 92115
Fax: (619) 640-9903
Attn: Human Resources