|Affiliate:||UDWA/AFSCME Local 3930|
|Posting Date:||January 02, 2019|
Under the direction of the Director of Organizing and Field Services, as well as the Regional Coordinator and the Lead Organizer, the Organizer drives the organizing and field plan of the Local Union.
UDWA Home Care Providers Union/AFSCME Local 3930 is a statewide labor union that represents more than 100,000 home care providers in 21 counties in California. Founded in 1979, UDWA is a diverse, progressive labor organization that seeks dynamic, committed individuals who will support our members and those for whom they care locally, statewide and at the national level.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Solicit union membership through weekly Orientations, House Visits, Area Information Meetings, Membership Meetings, and New Member Recruitment Appointments & Special Events.
- Develop organizing skills of member organizers.
- Identify, recruit, train and develop union leaders.
- Assist the Lead Organizer in developing and executing plans for campaigns, including but not limited to, budget issues, contract negotiations, worker safety, etc.
- Develop various communication systems to effectively reach members and providers.
- Work to build coalitions with community groups and organizations.
- Maintain work files and comply with administrative reporting.
- Mobilize, turnout and engage membership.
- Mobilize workers around worksite issues, politics, public policy, and other issues affecting the lives of workers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive union or comparable organizing experience.
- Strong strategic and critical thinking skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Some knowledge of labor rights and contract language, and the ability to learn these quickly.
- Work effectively in team settings, as well as independently.
- Effectively prioritize and multi-task assignments and responsibilities.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, often including nights and weekends.
- Willingness to travel.
- Bilingual skills strongly preferred, particularly in the following languages: Spanish, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Russian and Assyrian.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance that covers business driving, and an automobile for business use.
- Must comply with UDWA’s Driver Policy.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, climb stairs and walk for extended periods of time. The employee must have visual perception, the ability to hear and speak. The employee is frequently required to utilize arms, hands and fingers. The employee must be able to withstand extreme heat, moderate noise and ability to work outdoors. Employee should be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
Employee must be able to perform duties and responsibilities in an office environment, private homes, community spaces and public outdoor spaces.
To Apply for This Position:
Mail, email or fax a detailed resume, cover letter, a one-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
In subject: Title of Position (applying for)
Mail: UDWA/AFSCME Local 3930
c/o Human Resources
4855 Seminole Drive
San Diego, CA 92115
Fax: (619) 640-9903
Attn: Human Resources