|Affiliate:||AZ Local 499|
|Posting Date:||February 03, 2020|
American Federation of Federal State County Municipal Employees (AFSCME) Local 449 represents workers from the City of Tucson Blue Collar Employees, TUSD Blue Collar Employees, El Rio Health Clinic and PimaCare at Home. We are hiring an organizer to build our internal membership.
This is a part-time position (with the possibility of becoming full-time) to work on internal organizing campaigns. The position is located in Tucson, Arizona. Organizers are responsible for a variety of aspects of a campaign including building relationships with workers, assessing workers, building lists, mapping worksites, identifying and developing worker-leaders and for recruiting and sustaining motivation of organizing committee members and activists. Organizers must also be able to perform work site and home visits.
- Willing to work irregular hours.
- Be in possession of an insured vehicle and valid driver’s license.
- Have strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Be motivated, responsible, organized, professional and detail oriented.
- Be able to work independently while also communicating well with other organizers and office manager.
- Conducts one-on-one organizing through meetings and home visits to accurately assess and recruit supporters and leaders.
- Works with workers to develop a representative organizing committee, and assists in training them.
- Participates in mapping worksites, develops plans to implement the overall organizing campaign and goals.
- Performs related work as required.
- Experienced in labor is a plus.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Knowledge of union organizing practice and principles.
- Basic knowledge of labor laws, especially with respect to union organizing.
- Sign up new members and build union membership
- Enter assessments and other data collected in a database on a regular basis.
- Take initiative on activities to develop campaign and accomplish goals.
- Driving, travel, temporary assignments and extended work hours are required.
- Experience organizing in the public sector
- Experience and knowledge of computer programs (including word processing, spreadsheet and database software)
Apply Today, please email your resume along with references to Mary Valdez at email@example.com