|Posting Date:||August 21, 2019|
AFSCME District Council 20 is a dynamic progressive labor union representing close to 20,000 municipal, federal and private sector workers in Washington, DC and Virginia. We are a member-driven organization, dedicated to building a strong union to fight for the rights, benefits, jobs and families of the members we represent. This person must be as diverse as our membership, having a great personality will go far in this position.
We are currently seeking an Experienced Organizer, based in the Washington, DC area.
The Organizer will conduct a wide array of organizing activities, including initiating campaigns to organizing non-union workplaces, making home visits and working with existing locals to strengthen their membership and activism. Activities will include leadership recruitment, mentoring member organizers, strategic planning, initiating and running local issue organizing campaigns and implementation of union wide goals and programs.
- Develop local campaign plans with the goals, strategies and tactics necessary to execute the plan, including effective management of staff, volunteer, and administrative resources.
- Visit workers at their job sites and in their homes.
- Write leaflets and other materials for campaigns.
- Implement effective staff development and team-building.
- Manage lists, charts, and internal databases entrees.
- Responsible for managing campaigns, meeting goals and deadlines and providing written weekly reports of progress.
- Report directly to the Executive Director
Required Qualifications and Skills include:
- Experience with running new organizing campaigns and/or effective internal organizing campaigns with existing locals.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport and credibility with diverse demographic groups, and well as with members and potential members who perform a wide array of jobs and work in a variety of settings.
- Excellent written and oral communications.
- A demonstrated commitment to justice for working families.
- A demonstrated commitment to union democracy and supporting and developing members’ voices and leadership in their union.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including some nights and some weekends.
- Must possess a valid driver's license, auto insurance with business coverage, and an automobile for business use.
District Council 20, AFSCME is an equal opportunity employer, and strongly encourage all those qualified and interested to apply. Salary is commensurate with experience, with excellent benefits package.
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org