To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
Media Relations Specialist
|Grade:||United Staff Union – Grade 7|
|Salary:||Starts at $67,119|
|Benefits:||List of benefits|
|Posting Date:||December 11, 2018|
This position is responsible for securing media coverage of AFSCME activities, positions and accomplishments. Writes materials for media distribution, as well as for internal communications and organizing purposes. Will also assist in the strategic planning of media activities. The incumbent will build and maintain relationships with members of the news media and place stories, interviews, and Op-Eds with print, radio, and TV outlets. The incumbent will also plan and carry out news conferences and media events, and write news releases, editorials, advertisements, brochures, and blogs.
- Assists in media targeting in industries where AFSCME is organizing.
- Proactively pitch story ideas to generate positive coverage.
- Respond to inquiries from print, radio and television journalists.
- Develop and leverage relationships with members of the media to influence coverage and drive narratives.
- Conceive and execute media events based on natural and created news opportunities.
- Assist the communications department in developing media strategies to improve the public image of the labor movement.
- Write news releases, background memos, advisories, fact sheets and other news-related materials.
- Write and place Op-Eds.
- Provide media relations support for strategic campaigns from Washington and in the field as necessary.
- Conduct media training with union activists and leaders.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with degree in communications, journalism, or another related field desirable. Minimum of three years in a media relations role or a combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities required.
- Knowledge of labor relations issues in the public and private sector.
- Experience and existing relationships with national press preferred.
- Experience in campaigns or political advocacy organizations required, with strong inter-personal skills and excellent judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to place stories and Op-Eds.
- Superior writing skills including experience writing Op-Eds, press releases, fact sheets and other media related materials.
- Ability to work with grassroots union and community movements to plan, develop and implement message and events.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office programs, e-mail programs, as well as social media platforms including Twitter and Facebook, etc.
- Flexibility to travel as required in performance of duties.
- Ability to work under tight deadline, work in a fast-paced environment and thrive under pressure.
- Ability to communicate in a foreign language desirable.