To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
Labor Economist I/II
|Department:||Research & Collective Bargaining|
|Grade:||USU Grade 8/9|
|Salary:||Starts at $72,447|
|Benefits:||List of benefits|
|Posting Date:||August 14, 2018|
This position will be filled at the grade commensurate with the knowledge and experience of the selected applicant. Responds to inquiries in areas of specialization from affiliates and AFSCME staff by analyzing the issues and making recommendations.
- Responds to a variety of routine requests. This generally involves searching the files for information on the topic and answering the request, often adapting previous responses to similar requests.
- May develop new resource materials.
- Analyzes city, county, state and other budgets, occupations and industries and policy issues.
- Analyzes state and federal legislative and regulatory initiatives to determine their impact on AFSCME members and make recommendations.
- Works with AFSCME affiliates on implementation of initiatives and develops plans and strategies to achieve representation objectives.
- May give advice during negotiations and impasse procedures.
- Prepares and presents exhibits, summaries and other materials.
- May be asked to prepare and present testimony before city councils, county and state legislatures and the press. Conducts workshops and prepares session outlines and materials for presentations.
- Writes occasional articles, manuals and fact sheets.
- May monitor specialty issues of importance to AFSCME and serve as resource person for both AFSCME staff and affiliates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with course work in economics, political science, public policy, public administration, and/or labor relations.
- Three (3) to seven (7) years of relevant experience with minimum of at least two years’ experience in a labor organization and the public sector; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to analyze programs and trends affecting the union, workers, and the public sector.
- Ability to independently negotiate collective bargaining issues and develop and implement contract campaign strategies.
- Ability to work with affiliates to plan and execute campaigns to fight privatization, raise revenues or address other issues important to AFSCME members.
- Ability to perform complex and sensitive field assignments and develop new resource materials or programs.
- Computer literate with word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Travel required.
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting Date: August 14, 2018