To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
Graphic Design Specialist
|Grade:||United Staff Union – Grade 7|
|Salary:||Starts at $68,787|
|Benefits:||List of benefits|
|Posting Date:||November 26, 2019|
This position is responsible for developing and designing content and communications assets for AFSCME’s priority campaigns and initiatives. This includes digital ads, landing pages, social media and info graphics, animations, logos, print design for leaflets, mailers, brochures and more. This position is in the Field and Campaigns Unit of the Communications Department. Works closely with field and regional comms staff. Also works with other department staff and International Union staff.
- Designs digital and print content, including social media content, videos, infographics, social media posts, landing pages, leaflets, brochures, direct mail pieces and other communications collateral for organizing, political, legislative and other priority campaigns.
- Designs creative assets for online ad campaigns, including banners. Stays up to date on specifications for different ad types and platforms and current trends and best practices for effective online ad creative.
- Improves existing graphics and images for campaigns, including making suggestions, providing updated images and design and implementing approved changes as instructed.
- Assists in building a repository of campaign content and designs that can be easily modified by staff on the ground.
- Consults with originating departments/local field staff requesting artwork to discuss preferences, methods of production, budgetary, scheduling and production requirements. Previous experience working with external print vendors and knowledge of exporting artwork to meet print-ready guidelines is a must.
- Ensures effective use of AFSCME brand story and latest research in creative content.
- Works alongside the graphics unit and supports additional design needs assigned by the Assistant Director of Field and Campaigns.
- Works closely with the Field Comms team to explore and execute creative solutions to elevate issues related to priority campaigns.
- Performs other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with degree in graphic design, communications, motion graphics or related field and a minimum of three years of experience in advocacy communications campaigns and design work, or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Progressively responsive experience in graphic design or web development, content development, online communications and related to advocacy or campaign work.
- Thorough knowledge of digital design, art design and layout; demonstrated experience in the use of advanced graphic design hardware and software, including Adobe CS: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects and XD.
- Experienced in the use and development of multiple content management systems.
- Proven ability to work across multiple operating system platforms, including mobile; and online ad channels, including GDN, Facebook, etc.
- Adaptability and ability to absorb and gather new information on deadline and turn around projects quickly and effectively under pressure.
- Advanced level of English language proficiency, with a good grasp of grammar and attention to detail; ability to copy edit.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to function well as part of a team, and equally comfortable running with solo tasks.
- Willingness to work hours and schedule as needed to complete projects and support organizational campaigns.
- The ideal candidate will have an eye for efficiency, with the capability of working with reusable content blocks, tags and other common Content Management System features.
- Electoral campaign, issue advocacy, or public policy experience strongly preferred.
Travel and work hours:
- Travel and extended work hours may be required.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Posting Date: November 25, 2019
AFSCME is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate an employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.