To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
|Department:||Organizing & Field Services|
|Salary:||Starts at $92,566|
|Benefits:||List of benefits|
|Posting Date:||February 05, 2020|
This position is supervisory in nature and is primarily responsible for managing, evaluating and training employees in the field. This position is also a hands on position which requires day to day direct involvement in planning, leading and conducting a wide array of activities.
- Supervises International Union Representatives, Field Office Assistants, OITs, Organizers, and Lead organizers in daily activities.
- Monitors the effectiveness of supervised staff by measuring progress against goals, directly observing their skills and coaching them to meet expectations.
- Conducts performance appraisals and establishes and monitors development plans and performance improvement plans.
- Applies, with deep expertise and proficiency, all elements of the AFSCME Strong program with the capacity to model and coach on all facets of the AFSCME Organizing Model.
- Researches potential organizing targets. Analyzes data and applies other criteria to assess possible targets of organizing. Conducts and may lead the investigation of organizing targets to gather data and information, build a list of workers, assesses worker interest, and scouts out the physical plant without divulging the union’s presence.
- Writes campaign plans and ensures that the written plans of team members are appropriate for the overall plan. Planning includes resource and staff needs as well as operational activities.
- Performs affiliate officer suspension investigations.
- Oversees local union administratorships. Ensures the overall ADM objectives and goals are met within the time parameters of the overall plan.
- Oversees the regional pink tag operation.
- Integrates into campaign activities, performs organizing assignments of all kinds and serves as a role model to new staff.
- Directs organizer recruitment activities.
- Develops and implements Organizer development trainings and activities.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited four year college or university.
- 5 - 7 years’ experience in a union demonstrating progressive advancement, or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of training and principles of effective supervision and mentoring.
- Extensive knowledge of union organizing practice and principles
- Extensive knowledge of labor laws, especially with respect to union organizing and representation.
- Extensive knowledge of AFSCME’s internal structure and experience in working with subordinate bodies.
- Ability to conduct research and gather information to evaluate targets, develop strategies and formulate conclusions.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from a wide variety of audiences to include managers, colleagues, prospective union members, targeted employers, affiliates etc.
- Ability to lead, train and coordinate experienced organizing staff, volunteer organizers and committee members.
- Ability to work effectively with Council and Local Union staff on a project basis.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete and some abstract variables in situations where only limited standardization exists and, to interpret a variety of instructions provided in written and oral form.
- Demonstrated leadership and motivational skills.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, including excellent “one-on-one” interpersonal communications.
- Fluent bilingual skills are desirable.
Travel and work hours:
- Driving, travel, temporary assignments and extended work hours are required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Posting Date: February 5, 2020