|Location:||Olympia – Headquarters|
|Salary:||Starts at $62,501|
|Posting Date:||December 06, 2018|
Who We Are:
The Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) has a long history of fighting for workers’ rights and employee benefits while tackling social justice issues with passion and energy. The WFSE, Council 28 has been operating in the state capital for over 74 years and our staff fight for fairness and equality as well as ensuring the hard working men and women of state government, higher education institutions, and public service workers get better pay, better health care, better retirement, and a healthy work environment. There’s more to accomplish, and with the right personnel, we believe we can accomplish it. Come join our team and be a part of a larger mission that will make an impact for years to come. Learn more about who we are at: wfse.org.
What We’re Looking For:
The Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is recruiting to fill a Communications Specialist position located at the Headquarters building in Olympia. This position is responsible for producing a variety of print and digital materials and promoting best communications practices in support of the mission, vision and goals of WFSE/AFSCME Council 28. This position reports to the Director of Communications and assists with developing and executing comprehensive online campaigns with the goal of list-building, and engaging both members and potential members into deeper participation. Manages online advertising platforms, including Facebook Business Manager and Google Ads and provides assistance in developing and implementing communications strategies incorporating traditional and digital tactics.
Additional duties include:
- Assists with writing and designing campaign communications, including leaflets, brochures and direct mail pieces, social media and other online content, phone scripts, videos and more.
- Works closely with members and staff to develop organizing communications capacity as well as materials for a variety of campaigns.
- Assists with writing communication plans with clearly defined and measurable goals, messaging, tactics, and timelines.
- Assists with worker mobilization as well as community and political outreach efforts associated with targeted campaigns.
- Manages online content for the WFSE web page.
- Assists with conducting trainings on campaign messages, digital tools and communications best practices for campaign staff, committee members, volunteer organizers and others.
- Gathers content, including member stories, photo testimonials, and video.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with coursework in communications, labor relations, political science or liberal arts or an equivalent of education and work experience to equal the degree requirement.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience managing online advertising platforms, including Facebook Business Manager and Google Ads.
- Experience using web design software and analytics.
- Experience with designing, producing, and promoting posts on social media networks (e.g. Facebook, Twitter).
- Must have technical and creative skills in graphics and publications design, including the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere).
- Experience running multi-channel digital campaigns and knowledge of digital media platforms, including web content management systems, email tools, social media, etc.
- Familiar with email and text messaging platforms, such as Action Network and Mobile Commons.
- Ability to communicate in a foreign language.
- Experience capturing and editing short video for online promotion.
- Experience using Illustrator, LightRoom, and Final Cut Pro.
- Experience with HTML and Java Script.
This position is overtime eligible and may be required to work some weekends. Some travel may be required. Must have a valid driver’s license, use of personal vehicle, and valid vehicle insurance. Benefits include annual and sick leave, cell phone allowance, medical/dental, life, and long term disability insurance, and holidays. Salary range is $62,501 to $72,352 and will be determined commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position(s), applicants must submit a resume, letter of interest, and at least three (3) professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your letter of interest should clearly explain how your experience, training, and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
This position is open until filled; however, the hiring authority may conduct interviews as soon as qualified candidates apply. It is to the applicant's advantage to apply as early as possible.
The Washington Federation of State Employees is committed to providing equal employment opportunity and equal access in a non-discriminatory manner to its programs and services for all persons without regard to race, creed, color, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, national origin, political affiliation, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any real or perceived sensory, mental, or physical disability.
Persons requiring accommodation in the application process or for an alternative format may contact the Human Resources Director, Ben McDonald at (360) 352-7603 or email@example.com. Persons of disability or those who are deaf or hard of hearing can call the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388. The WFSE complies with the employment eligibility verification requirements of the Federal Form I-9. The selected candidate must be able to provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States consistent with the requirements of that form on the first day of employment.