Business Agent - Central Valley
|Location:||Central Valley, CA|
|Posting Date:||March 15, 2019|
AFSCME Council 57 currently has two Business Agent positions open, (1) one in the Greater Bay Area (Local Government) and (1) one in the Central Valley (State Workers). This description is for the Central Valley (State Workers) position. Business Agents are the field staff at Council 57 who work directly with local unions.
The Union Business Agent position provides the full range of representation to members in their assigned areas. This includes grievance handling through the arbitration level; contract negotiations; assisting, developing, training, and mentoring the elected leadership of Local Unions; appearances before governmental Councils, Boards and Commissions; working with coalitions and other labor organizations; political action; internal communications programs; and internal organizing.
- Negotiate or assist in contract negotiations, including proposal development, contract campaigns, and negotiations.
- Train and assist stewards and officers in representation work, including grievances and disciplinary appeals up to and including arbitrations.
- Provide training and assistance in the administration of local unions.
- Assist leaders in the creation of local union newsletters and other communications.
- Work with leaders in the development and implementation of worksite issue campaigns.Train and assist leaders in the development of political and legislative action programs, including assessing potential candidates for office, recruiting and training member political activists, and lobbying elected officials.
- Assist and train leaders to build stronger locals through internal organizing, agency shop and/or external organizing campaigns.
- Other related duties as required.
- Three or more years of related work experience.
- Extensive knowledge of labor unions and labor relations issues in the public and private sector.
- Ability to establish rapport with and organize members in widely diversified ethnic, social, and economic groups.
- Experience in advocacy and leadership development.
- Proven effectiveness in working with local union activists.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Quick learner possessing strong interest and working knowledge of labor rights and contract language.
- Extensive project management experience in a high-stress environment.
- Research and analytical skills necessary to assess and plan effective projects.
- Ability to deal with conflicting and changing priorities.
- Experienced in the use of most widely used computer programs, familiar with desktop publishing and social media.
- Valid California driver’s license.
- A willingness to work long and irregular hours and participate in all Council-wide activities.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter including area of interest, a resume and three references to Danielle Dixon at email@example.com. All emails should include AFSCME Council 57 Business Agent Posting in the subject line. No phone calls please.
AFSCME District Council 57 Is An Equal Opportunity Employer Committed To A Diverse Workforce.