To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
Area Field Services Director
|Department:||Organizing & Field Services|
|Salary:||Starts at $103,492|
|Benefits:||List of benefits|
|Posting Date:||November 19, 2019|
This position is responsible for providing guidance and leadership to the efforts of the International Union and affiliates in mobilizing the membership in support of the union’s programs.
- Responsible for leading the Union’s organizing efforts in an assigned area in the most efficient, economical and effective manner possible.
- Plans, assesses needs and allocates resources; oversees the progress and effectiveness of each; guides staff and leadership toward successful completion of projects.
- Supervises International and affiliate staff in campaigns for new collective bargaining laws and related organizing.
- Leads and administers organizing campaigns by identifying targets and developing a strategic management plan according to the “AFSCME Organizing Model”.
- May direct a regionally based organizing team focused on larger “Plan B” and “Plan C” (500+) public and private sector targets.
- May act as head of the entire AFSCME program in a state in which a new collective bargaining law is being enacted or implemented.
- May act as interim Organizing Director for a new affiliate organizing program.
- Evaluates, guides and develops staff based on the “AFSCME Organizing Model”. Establishes goals and standards, conducts performance reviews and makes appropriate recommendations regarding retention.
- Manages the area office's human and financial resources; determines the programmatic capability; administers the physical facility; and establishes and maintains all necessary business and operational relationships required to manage an enterprise efficiently.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in labor studies, labor relations or political action
- Up to ten years of experience in union leadership acting in an official capacity to plan, administer and coordinate major union activities or a combination of education and experience.
- Advanced knowledge of labor unions and organizing as well as labor laws, both public and private sector.
- Advanced ability to plan, organize and coordinate work activities.
- Advanced ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise staff and fiscally manage large budgets.
- Advanced oral and written communications skills.
- Advanced ability to analyze research data and make logical conclusions.
- Skilled in the use of personal computer and associated software.
- Bi-lingual skills may be desirable in certain assignments.
Travel & Work hours:
- Extended work hours and extensive travel are required.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Posting Date: November 19, 2019
AFSCME is an equal opportunity employer, and, as such, does not discriminate against an employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification protected from discrimination under applicable law.