To be considered
For each position of interest, please send a separate email with an attached cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
Also, include the position title, and if you are a current member of an AFSCME Local, in the subject line of your email.
Area Field Services Director
|Department:||Organizing & Field Services|
|Grade:||Management Grade 2A|
|Salary:||Starts at $101,191|
|Benefits:||List of benefits|
|Posting Date:||June 25, 2018|
This position is responsible for providing guidance and leadership to the efforts of the International Union and affiliates in mobilizing the membership in support of the union’s programs.
- Responsible for leading the Union’s organizing efforts in an assigned area in the most efficient, economical and effective manner possible.
- Plans, assesses needs and allocates resources; oversees the progress and effectiveness of each; guides staff and leadership toward successful completion of projects.
- Supervises International and affiliate staff in campaigns for new collective bargaining laws and related organizing.
- Leads and administers organizing campaigns by identifying targets and developing a strategic management plan according to the “AFSCME Organizing Model”.
- May direct a regionally based organizing team focused on larger “Plan B” and “Plan C” (500+) public and private sector targets.
- May act as head of the entire AFSCME program in a state in which a new collective bargaining law is being enacted or implemented.
- May act as interim Organizing Director for a new affiliate organizing program.
- Evaluates, guides and develops staff based on the “AFSCME Organizing Model”. Establishes goals and standards, conducts performance reviews and makes appropriate recommendations regarding retention.
- Manages the area office's human and financial resources; determines the programmatic capability; administers the physical facility; and establishes and maintains all necessary business and operational relationships required to manage an enterprise efficiently.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in labor studies, labor relations or political action
- Up to ten years of experience in union leadership acting in an official capacity to plan, administer and coordinate major union activities or a combination of education and experience.
- Advanced knowledge of labor unions and organizing as well as labor laws, both public and private sector.
- Advanced ability to plan, organize and coordinate work activities.
- Advanced ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise staff and fiscally manage large budgets.
- Advanced oral and written communications skills.
- Advanced ability to analyze research data and make logical conclusions.
- Skilled in the use of personal computer and associated software.
- Bi-lingual skills may be desirable in certain assignments.
Travel & Work hours
- Extended work hours and extensive travel are required.
**Submit resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org**