State & Local Budgets
Stand Up for the Middle Class
State and local governments must find balanced solutions to budget challenges, recognizing that state employees and services have already taken big cuts and further reductions will cause the most harm – both to state residents and to the state’s economic recovery. It’s time to have smarter government that best meets the needs of our communities.
- Apr 20AFSCME President Lee Saunders Slams Puerto Rico Oversight Board Plan
- Feb 23AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on Council 31’s Strike Authorization
- Feb 17AFSCME Pres. Lee Saunders on New Iowa Collective Bargaining Law
- Nov 23 State workers rally with hopes of getting back to bargaining table AFSCME members held a Day of Action throughout the state. The day included demonstrations, speak-outs,... (Belleville News-Democrat)
- Feb 16 Government Didn’t Fail Flint, Austerity Did The tragedy in Flint is not just a failure of Michigan Governor Rick Snyder. It... (Governing)
- Jun 09 VA: Virginia Tempers its Enthusiasm for Public-Private Partnerships Aubrey Layne, Virginia’s transportation secretary, suggested recently that Virginia may be able to save taxpayer... (Government Technology)
- Apr 27 IL: How exactly is privatization better, Mr. Governor? Gov. Bruce Rauner assures us that turning over economic development to a new private organization... (Crain's Chicago Business)
- Puerto Rico's Fiscal and Economic Problems: The Federal Government Must Play a More Prominent RoleThe Commonwealth of Puerto Rico needs assistance from the federal government as it struggles to overcome significant and longstanding fiscal and economic problems.
- Union Sign On Letter Supporting Marketplace Fairness Act S 1832Unions strongly support bipartisan "Marketplace Fairness Act" (S. 1832), which empowers state and local governments to collect sales and use taxes from remote sellers.
- Afscme Statement For Senate Finance Hearing Tax Reform What It Means For State And Local Tax And Fiscal PolicyAFSCME supports progressive federal tax policies that help ensure state and local governments can invest adequately in public education, health care, job creation, infrastructure and the social safety net.