AFSCME’s working and retired members have more than $1 trillion in retirement assets invested in public pension systems across the country. The magnitude of these assets can make us a major player in the financial markets. We must work to ensure that this money is invested so that the retirement benefits promised to public employees are safe and secure.
- May 24AFSCME Letter Opposing House Legislation to Weaken Consumer Protections and Nation-Wide Systemic Protections Safeguarding America’s Economy S. 2155 weakens consumer protections safeguarding student loan borrowers and home buyers, deregulates roughly 25 of America’s 38 largest banks, rolls back nationwide protections safeguarding America’s economy, and increases risk of a recession.
- Apr 11AFSCME Letter Opposing Bills To Undermine Dodd-Frank Systemic Risk Protections"Stress Test Improvement Act" (H.R. 4293) and "Financial Stability Oversight Council Improvement Act" (H.R. 4061) 4-11-18
- Mar 13AFSCME Letter Opposing legislation to Undermine Federal Banking Regulators’ Enforcement Authority HR 4545 (“Financial Institutions Examination Fairness and Reform Act”) (3-13-18)
- Nov 23 Trump: Where the Rubber Hits the Road If your family anything like mine, there will be plenty of lively debate about politics... (Huffington Post)
- Feb 02 We Built the Middle Class, and We Can Rebuild It The benefits to workers who form a union are concrete and undeniable. Unionized workers earn... (Roll Call)
- Feb 21 Business owners urge Congress to take Medicare, Social Security cuts off the table 80 percent of business owners said they oppose proposals to save federal money by curbing... (Washington Post)
- Jun 28 What the Health Care Ruling Means for Medicare Medicare improvements could have evaporated had the law been overturned, so the ruling generated sighs... (The New York Times)