Health & Safety
Fighting for Safe Jobs
There is nothing more important than staying safe on the job. Our lives depend on it. That is why, as AFSCME members, we have access to some of the best workplace health and safety resources available. Training programs and technical assistance emphasize strategies that involve workers and staff in identifying and solving workplace problems. AFSCME has also played a leading role in winning job safety rights to protect workers from asbestos, infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS, and other hazards.
- Mar 26Letter to Congress in Support of the Violence Against Women Act (H.R. 1585)As this year marks the 25th Anniversary of VAWA, this legislation strengthens and expands the tools used to combat violence against women.
- Mar 11AFSCME Statement to U.S. House of Representatives, Committee on Education and LaborAFSCME submitted this testimony to the Subcommittee on Workforce Protections on February 27 on behalf of its members. Official Record of the "Caring for Our Caregivers: Protecting Health Care And Social Service Workers from Workplace Violence"
- Sep 29AFSCME Letter Urging the House to Immediately Act on Puerto Rico's Unfolding Disaster
- May 27 The Decline of American Unions Is a Threat to Public Health
- Oct 21 Vermont lawmakers grapple with social worker safety
- Oct 08 Employees Protest Gov. Rauner's Closing of Dept. of Children and Family Services Office A group of state union workers picketed outside the Department of Children and Family Services... (Central Illinois Proud)
- Sep 11 NYCOSH and Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Release New Report Documenting Evolution of Responders’ Illnesses 14 Years After 9/11 As Advocates Fight for Renewal of 9/11 Health Act, New Medical Accounts of 9/11 Responders... (New York Committee for Occupational Safety & Health)
- Apr 29 OSHA unveils new "It's The Law" poster To help ensure that workers have a voice in their workplaces and the protection they... (OHSA)
- Apr 21 Our Nation's Pay Policies Are Due for a Checkup The United States is one of the only developed nations in the world where workers... (The Huffington Post)
- Mar 18 We Must Stand with Law Enforcement Officers It is a mistake to think it's the role of police officers alone to fix... (Huffington Post)
- Feb 13 OSHA reminds employers to post OSHA 300A injury/illness summary February through April OSHA is reminding covered employers to post OSHA's Form 300A, which summarizes the total number...
- Feb 13 Updates to OSHA’s Recordkeeping Rule: Reporting Fatalities and Severe Injuries OSHA’s updated recordkeeping rule expands the list of severe injuries that all employers must report... (OSHA)
- Are You Prepared? A Guide to Emergency Planning in the Workplace
- Excavation, Trenching and Shoring Safety
- Needle Points: An AFSCME Guide to Sharps Safety
- Safe Jobs Now: A Guide to Health and Safety in the Workplace
- Double Jeopardy: Caseworkers at Risk Helping At-Risk Kids
- The Keys to Healthy Computing: A Health and Safety Handbook
- Managing a Prison Disturbance: An ACU Guide
- Fact Sheets