Federal Budget & Taxes
Funding Priorities Based on American Values
A budget is a reflection of our priorities as a nation. America's working middle class has sacrificed enough with drastic cuts to services. Tax revenues, which fund these services, are still recovering from their lowest point in over three generations, and tax rates are still at historic lows for the wealthiest Americans. The surefire way to bring fairness and balance to the budget is to create jobs, close corporate tax loopholes and require the wealthiest Americans to pay their fair share. The issue we face is a revenue problem and a priorities problem — not a spending problem.
- AFSCME Letter to House Ways & Means Committee Opposing GOP Tax Plan
- AFSCME's Federal Budget Priorities - Fall 2017
- President Trump’s Proposed FY 18 Budget Reduces Funds for Public Housing (5/25/17)
- AFSCME Federal Budget Priorities 2017
- AFSCME's Budget Priorities 2016
- Federal Budget Priorities Fact Sheet
- REPORT: A Simple Fix to Make Multinational Corporations Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes
- Fact Sheet: AFSCME Federal Budget Priorities
- REPORT: Taxpayers Subsidize America’s Biggest Employer and Richest Family
- Five Things You Should Know on Tax Day
- Jan 31AFSCME Letter Urging Senators Re-Open the Federal Government by Supporting the Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2019 (H.R. 268)H.R. 268 is legislation already passed by the House of Representatives that will reopen the federal government, put public service workers back on the job, and restore the critical government services relied on by the American people.
- Jan 02AFSCME Letter to the U.S. House in Support of the Legislative Package to End the ShutdownThere is absolutely no reason to delay reopening of the Federal Government and funding the necessary services and the people who keep our communities safe, healthy and strong.
- Dec 19AFSCME Letter to the U.S. House Opposing the Brady GOP Tax PackageWhile the tax package differs from November’s version, we are troubled by many regressive provisions that remain in the bill and the lack of progressive policies that should have been added.
- Oct 08 Puerto Rico needs a Marshall Plan America must help Puerto Rico rebuild after Hurricane Maria, just as it did for Europe... (The Hill)
- May 23 Trump Budget Proposes Path to a New Gilded Age President Trump’s new budget should lay to rest any belief that he’s looking out for... (Center on Budget and Policy Priorities)
- May 01 The Art of the Steal: President Trump’s Tax “Reform” Spells Disaster The Trump plan will give a big tax cut to the super wealthy. Put a... (Medium)
- Nov 23 Trump: Where the Rubber Hits the Road If your family anything like mine, there will be plenty of lively debate about politics... (Huffington Post)