Federal Budget & Taxes
Funding Priorities Based on American Values
A budget is a reflection of our priorities as a nation. America's working middle class has sacrificed enough with drastic cuts to services. Tax revenues, which fund these services, are still recovering from their lowest point in over three generations, and tax rates are still at historic lows for the wealthiest Americans. The surefire way to bring fairness and balance to the budget is to create jobs, close corporate tax loopholes and require the wealthiest Americans to pay their fair share. The issue we face is a revenue problem and a priorities problem — not a spending problem.
- Report: More Large Corporations Pay Zero Federal Tax due to Republicans’ 2017 Tax Breaks - Spring 2019
- AFSCME Letter to House Ways & Means Committee Opposing GOP Tax Plan
- AFSCME's Federal Budget Priorities - Fall 2017
- President Trump’s Proposed FY 18 Budget Reduces Funds for Public Housing (5/25/17)
- AFSCME Federal Budget Priorities 2017
- AFSCME's Budget Priorities 2016
- Federal Budget Priorities Fact Sheet
- REPORT: A Simple Fix to Make Multinational Corporations Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes
- Fact Sheet: AFSCME Federal Budget Priorities
- REPORT: Taxpayers Subsidize America’s Biggest Employer and Richest Family
- Apr 09AFSCME Letter Endorses “Federal Adjustment of Income Rates Act” (H.R. 1073) The “Federal Adjustment of Income Rates Act” (H.R. 1073) would increase federal employees’ 2020 salaries by 3.6%.
- Apr 09AFSCME Letter Endorses “Federal Adjustment of Income Rates Act” (S. 426) The “Federal Adjustment of Income Rates Act” (S. 426) would increase federal employees’ 2020 salaries by 3.6%.
- Apr 09AFSCME Letter (Sign-On) endorses “Carried Interest Fairness Act” (H.R. 1735)The “Carried Interest Fairness Act” (H.R. 1735) would end an unfair tax loophole allowing multi-millionaire fund managers to pay a reduced tax rate that is lower than the tax rate paid by millions of working families.
- Oct 08 Puerto Rico needs a Marshall Plan America must help Puerto Rico rebuild after Hurricane Maria, just as it did for Europe... (The Hill)
- May 23 Trump Budget Proposes Path to a New Gilded Age President Trump’s new budget should lay to rest any belief that he’s looking out for... (Center on Budget and Policy Priorities)
- May 01 The Art of the Steal: President Trump’s Tax “Reform” Spells Disaster The Trump plan will give a big tax cut to the super wealthy. Put a... (Medium)
- Nov 23 Trump: Where the Rubber Hits the Road If your family anything like mine, there will be plenty of lively debate about politics... (Huffington Post)